At least 10 people have been killed in a roadside bomb attack in the Afghan capital Kabul that targeted the first vice president, Amrullah Saleh.
Mr Saleh, a former head of the Afghan intelligence services, escaped with slight burns on his face and hand. The bombing came as Afghan officials and the Taliban prepared to begin their first formal talks.
Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a tweet that the militant group was not responsible for the blast. Footage filmed shortly after the explosion showed a large plume of black smoke rising from the scene.
Tareq Arain, a spokesman for Afghanistan’s interior ministry, said the roadside bomb targeted Mr Saleh’s convoy as the official travelled to work. Mr Arain said 10 civilians who worked in the area were killed and 15 people, including one of Mr Saleh’s bodyguards, were wounded.
A witness to the explosion said he was driving past the location on the way to a clinic when the bomb detonated.
Mr Saleh is known as a vocal opponent of the Taliban, and the former intelligence chief has survived several previous assassination attempts, including one last year that killed 20 people at his office. Speaking after the blast on Wednesday, he vowed to continue his political work
Follow Us on Social Media